Monday, June 15, 2009

I came and I saw

I have been in Cameroon for a little less than two weeks and already I know that Cameroonians (and most of Africa, for that matter) LOVES President Barack Obama. And all caps on love is not an exaggeration. They believe that since Obama is black, his family has originated from Africa, which it has. But since they don’t know exactly where, they believe he came from Cameroon. And Cameroon is extremely proud to have a Cameroonian United States of America President. I’ve seen Obama’s face on billboard advertisements for a cell phone service. His face is painted on the fronts of barbershops so you can get the Obama haircut. Today, I even saw a sign saying Club Obama but I am not sure what it was…maybe a restaurant?

Most of all, I just find it interesting that they are so interested in America and know so much about us but we know very little of them. I couldn’t even tell you where Cameroon was in Africa before I received my Peace Corps invitation. America is just known to the rest of the world, developed or not. It just amazes me that this place with unreliable electricity, poor Internet access and such a different way of life, knows America. But the majority of America does not even realize that.

More observations: I saw a bee for the first time yesterday. Not really a big deal except that it was the SIZE OF A HUMMINGBIRD! Cant imagine the sting on that. And the keyboqrds are wierd and mqke me type like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment