Monday, July 19, 2010

Rainy season: what does it mean?

Being back in village during rainy season (which is also my summer vacation) has given me a lot more time to relax during the spurts of rain that come every other day or so. Rainy season means the villagers are out at their farms planting and cultivating in the morning. It means the pitter-patter of sprinkles on my aluminum roof. It means occasional great big thunderstorms that seem so much more intense than in the states. They seem to shake the ground up to my insides, scaring me but also giving the feeling that I am so close to something dangerous. It gives the feeling of being alive. Rainy season means cooler weather (about 80 degrees) and steam floating off of the mountain and intermingling with the dark clouds above. It means green grass, green fields and green plants; it doesn’t look so much like desert anymore. It means more bugs, mosquitoes and creepy crawlers creeping into my house and me being thankful for mosquito nets. It means more flies, flies that stick to your skin, flies that after a while you just stop bothering to wave away. It means the electricity is cut more often, gone for days at a time. It means more time to read, write, watch movies (when there is electricity) and reflect. And it means more time to write blogs such as this.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a member of the most recent Peace Corps Volunteers selected to serve in Cameroon (tentative departure in mid-September)! I'm anxious to continue reading your blog as I prepare to go through the same timeline of experiences soon. If you provide me your email address, I'd love to ask you a few questions as I gear up to leave the United States. Thanks in advance,
    -Charmayne (charmayne.cooley@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't seem to find your post speaking of how great it was to see your twin sister and how awesome she is. Its gotta be around her somewhere right?

    ReplyDelete