Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Car talks and Cow Stomach

Last week I had to make a trip to the provincial capital in the west with a couple other volunteers to fix some banking issues we had. Our training director, David who is an awesome Cameroonian, took us in a Peace Corps vehicle. He has been very helpful and accommodating and even plays soccer with us every Thursday. Anyways, to get to the point, we were conversing in the car and somehow we came up on the topic of our host families and what they get in return for allowing us to stay there. Most of us assuming that Peace Corps pays them plenty, without saying any type of amount David informed us that they receive just a little. Not even enough for all our food and utilities (water, electricity) that we use! Then he mentioned that some of the families do not even accept the payment. They just want to do it because they want to help. He explained, “Africans do not have money, but they always have space for foreigners. And food to go around." Just made me think. And it think it made more of an impact when were driving by poor neighborhoods and slums.

And speaking of food, I ate cow stomach the other night by accident. It was kinda dark when my sister gave me my plate of food but I could tell it was meat and boiled plantains in some sauce. So I asked her if the meat was beef and she said yes. So I took a bite and it didn't taste like any beef I've ever tasted before. Very rubbery and not much flavor. So I asked her again what type of meat and she explained that it was the stomach of the cow. She must have saw my face because she laughed and asked me if I didn't like it. I managed to swallow the piece of meat but she happily proceeded to eat the rest of the meat off of my plate. I lost my appetite. Needless to say, I am very excited to start cooking for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment