Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Omelet, Spaghetti, Tomato, Onion and Pimont Sandwiches. Yummmm.

So this entry will be about the food. Why, you ask? Because I love food and I know you would like to read about the food I eat in Cameroon.

So I stay at host family, who feeds me breakfast and dinner. For lunch, I and the other volunteers are on our own but there are a couple shops/homes nearby.
For breakfast, I usually have hot chocolate and baguette bread with butter and a chocolate spread on top (think nutella). They don’t have milk here so the hot chocolate is made with condensed milk powder, chocolate powder, sugar and hot water. Tastes just like Swiss Miss. If only I could find some marshmallows.

For lunch, I usually have one of three options. Either a sandwich made up of an omelet with spaghetti, tomato, onion and pimont (a spicy spread) mixed in. Sounds a bit weird but I actually start craving them already. Or I cut up an avocado with my swiss army knife and make an avocado and Laughing Cow cheese sandwich. Or I buy a bowl full of Cameroonian food from a local mother who cooks up huge pots of delish food. She usually makes a mashed potato/black bean mixture, spaghetti mixture, some type of vegetable mixture that looks like sauerkraut but tastes a million times better and fried plantains.

For dinner, it varies. I’ve had a rice mixture with cut green beans and carrots. Or small potatoes with fish and peppers. Or fried plantains. Or boiled plaintains with a cooked bean mixture. Or rice with a peanut sauce and fish on top. It doesn’t sound too unusual but the spices they use are different but common to every dish so everything has a Cameroonian taste to it. Oh! Just the other night I had fried potatoes which tasted exactly like some hot french fries! They were unbelievable amazing! And I think the more I eat, the more my host mother likes me. It’s a good trade-off.

1 comment:

  1. i hope your host mother can afford to feed you! i know how you eat! the food sounds delish - i hope you are taking good notes so that you can help me replicate the dishes when you come home!

    ReplyDelete