Monday, July 13, 2009

A little place that I will call home for the next two years

I went on my site visit last week! I am not supposed to tell you of my exact whereabouts on here but I can say it is in the Extreme North Province of Cameroon. This is where I secretly wanted to go so I am really excited to get a post there! So I will tell you a little bit about it from what I know so far.

The village is small and located next to a couple of huge mountains; a view that I will enjoy waking up to every morning. The mountains even have hiking trails that I will have to check out! The high school has about 1,000 students and eight male teachers. I will be the only female and only English teacher in the school – a bit intimidating. The students come from my village and the surrounding villages. I don’t have a house yet but most likely I will have electricity (sporadically) but no running water. Yay for bucket baths and paying children to bring me water from mysterious sources!(No worries, that is totally normal) And the closest internet is about 1 ½ hours away so my updates will be less frequent.

From what I’ve heard from other volunteers, the extreme north is extremely different from what I’ve been experiencing right now. For one thing, it is about ten times hotter. In the hot season, temps reach 115 degrees in the shade. It has a huge Muslim population, so it is more conservative in dress and mannerisms. The area is also more laid back and chill. In the words of another volunteer, “its just too damn hot to get angry.”

No comments:

Post a Comment